Usually it’s a normal thing for a business to update their websites frequently to keep their site healthy and Informative to their customers. Examples of changes may include: Changes to the company logo, changes to the available content on pages, changes to the gallery, etc. However, there are times when business require a full redesign for their website. In this article we will discuss 10 reasons why it is important for you to redesign your website.
Here are some of the facts you will need to consider when doing a complete redesign of your website:
- How well your website is presented and the way the information is organised
- General aspect of your website once you have included several pages
- Software platform in which you will be hosting / running your website
- How user-friendly is the navigation for your websites visitors
Some of the issues small business may face is that website redesigning, which can be costly and time consuming. However this may not be an issue for larger companies unless you have an eCommerce website to redesign, which will require more time for altering the databases, etc. So, when and why do you really need a redesign for your website? Below we have suggested as to why you will require a website redesign. These 10 reasons should make you aware when to consider for a website changeover.
Why you should consider redesigning your website
These points will give you an understanding as to whether you require a website redesign or not. These points have been arranged in a logical manner to help you consider if a change for your website is necessary or not. For example, if most of the points below are positive when comparing with your current site then there is a good chance you will require a redesign for your website.
- Your Website takes more than two seconds to load
Make sure your website loads up fast. Also check whether the navigation between the pages is fast. If it takes more than two seconds to transition between pages or to load up your website, then it is a sign that your site is performing slow.
It is recommended that you test this while logged on to a faster computer and even try testing on your mobile device. On both devices your website should load up fast.
If your website is loading up almost instantly then you know your website is in good health and has optimum performance. However, if your website is loading slow (takes more than two seconds) specially if you are running an ecommerce website, then it is very Unhealthy for your ecommerce site since most of the customers are expect the items and pages to load quickly and are usually impatient. This could be a huge risk on sales and you may lose potential customers due to your website not loading fast.
There are many tools out there which you can use to verify the page speed of your website. Among them I would recommend “Google’s PageSpeed Tools”
- How good your social media shares look
If you are looking for new customers and want to share your Website through Social media, It is important that your shared links are Informative, good looking and reflects your business. The most important aspect of a Social link you may notice is the thumbnail picture of your social media post. Most customers easily identify you by your business thumbnail picture so it is important to have that aspect. The other thing is the Title and the description of what you are sharing. It should be Short and, on the point, so that customers know exactly what they are looking for when checking your Social media links.
Example of bad Social Media Share;
Example of Good Social Media share;
So, to improve on this point make sure you include a relative, eye catching Thumbnail Picture and be catchy with your Titles and description. This is very important since Social media is a method used by many businesses to attract new customers and first impressions are virtuous
- Website not displaying or missing features and content
Few examples of this would be – your website is missing the logo, home page sliders not displaying, Images in gallery not displaying anymore, Interactive features such Maps and GIF’s not displaying, content glitched out, Font sizes and page styles have altered etc.
Here is an example of this;
There are several reasons why this could occur, here is a few list;
- Some web browsers e.g. Google chrome, Firefox, Safari will display your site information differently. If you are using more than one browser there is a possibility for the cache mix up, e.g. extra images being displayed when accessing the site from a different browser vice versa. Always clear your cache when using a different web browser.
- Your browser might be outdated and not compatible with newer versions. For example, the new HTML5 does not support the browser versions below 2008.
- The plug-ins in your website might be out dated.
- Your website looks different on mobile device
Always make sure to check how your website appears on mobile devices and tabs as many customers prefer accessing your site through their mobile device. So, its mandatory to make sure that your site’s text and Images are the right size, tables are properly adjusted, Icons are the right size, no overlapping content, easy navigation access, etc.
Example of this error and how it should look;
If you are using google chrome, then you can simple right click on a page and select Inspect (“Ctrl+Shift+I” by default) which will give you a responsive option which can be used to check how the web page looks on a selected number of mobile devices and tabs.
If your website is not displaying properly on a mobile device, you can contact your web developer to design you a mobile friendly web page or you can create your own using some of the mobile friendly templates.
- Do you see Any increase in your profitable outcomes
This point looks mainly towards the fact how much your website helps or benefits your business. This can be measured in a few ways such as;
- Any significant increase in sales and profit margins?
- Is your site getting more attention from customers (website traffic / leads)?
- Is there any positive feed back from customers on products and services.
Most of all it is important to identify the key aspects missing in your website. Once you have identified these you can progress towards your website redesign. This will have a significant impact or improvement on your website since you are more aware of what areas needs to be improved and can monitor the ups and downs of your progress.
- How long your customers stay on your site
It is important that you are aware of how long customers tend to stay and browse your website. For some websites such as ecommerce sites you may want to keep a look out on how many customers are surfing through your products and eventually progressing onwards to purchasing them. However, if it’s a blog website then you will need to know how long visitors tend to stay and read posts on your website while sharing your blog posts.
There are a few features available which will help you identify the number of visitors entering your website.
- Bounce Rate – This is the rate of which visitors view your website (e.g. Home Page) and leave without visiting other pages. This is called “Bounce”. So, Bounce Rate is the effectiveness of encouraging the visitors to visit other pages or sessions of your website. Having a high bounce rate is a sign that your website is performing well.
- Pages and Sessions – This is the average number of times the users interact with your website within a session or a given time frame. The higher the number of sessions means your website is getting more visitors. If this number is low you may want to think about getting a redesign for your site.
- Behavior Flow – This tool helps keeps track of the activities of your website visitors. This can give you a good understanding of how your website visitors interact with your business brand and which areas of your site they are more or less interested in. This will give you an understanding as to which areas in your website needs improvement and implement a solution accordingly.
The Behavior Flow is a google analytic tool which can be found in your sites Google Analytic tools. If you are missing this tool you can include it to your website by installing a Google Analytic plugin or by adding the Analytics script.
- Website information should match the required criteria
Most of the time people visit your website to find out specific information on what they are looking for. So, for e.g. if the Information you have provided does not match the heading, the information you have provided does not make sense or the visitor is simply unable to find the information. These reasons will make the visitor want to leave your website and not spend much time on it.
Also, it is important to make sure the information is neatly arranged in an easy to read manner. You can check this in google analytics tool, how long visitors tend to spend on your website. If they are spending less than a minute on reading your articles, you will know something is wrong. So, make sure your wording is on point and also make sure your navigation is user-friendly so users can transition from page to page easily.
- Your Competitors have better looking websites
It is important that you are aware of your competitor’s websites, since you might lose potential customers if your website if not as good as theirs. There is a huge trend in competition between websites and it is vital that you are keeping up and on track.
For e.g. Keep an eye out on how their web designs look, what are the main differences compared to your website. these can vary from font size, text colour, images, themes, etc. It is important that you contact your web designer to have a look at your website so they can keep your website up to date.
So, the design of your website is one of the key aspects of attracting new and potential customers. This makes them aware how well you are committed to your business and adds a professional opinion for your business.
- Staying Up to Date
It is important that you are making the necessary updates to your website along as your business is progressing. Since a website is the reflection of your business you need to make sure your website represents your company. Some of the reasons for any differences between your company and website may be;
- Some of the staff in your company may need to be added or removed so you may need to update your website contact us page.
- Your company may have relocated so this information may need to update.
- Website images may be out dated as you may now have new Images to add.
- Your business may have new products and services which are missing on the website.
- Possibly you have moved on to a newer business, so the website will need a redesign.
These are few of the examples as to why there may be differences between your business and the website.
- How secure is your website
Once you have build your website or if you have an existing website the most important thing is to have a good web security system installed. Specially if you are running an ecommerce website where regular transactions take place. If you have a good web security system installed you reduce the risk of getting hacked and losing your valuable data.
If your website is not secure you will be open to hackers where your data might get stolen, unwanted ads / malware or scripts being run or even your website could get stolen and held hostage. These are not new things that we have not seen and these kinds of attacks can have a huge negative impact on the business as well as being very costly to repair. So, always keep your security tools up to date. Few Tips which might help your website security;
- Have permission restrictions for the staff, visitors (e.g. cannot delete data)
- Keep your malware removal tool up to date and scan for malware every 2 days or so.
- Keep your websites code to an advanced standard and make sure it is tested by a professional web developer.
- Have a good web security system.